+ Life Is Meant To Be Enjoyed +

Is Your Conscious or Subconscious Mind Running The Show?

Share Button

In this practice, we are going to continue the practice of programming our mind to work for us, not against us.

Neurologist, Dr. David Eagleman, explains that 95% of our brain activity is beyond our conscious awareness. He, among numerous other cognitive neuroscientists have conducted studies that have revealed that only 5% of our decisions, emotions, actions, behaviour is conscious, whereas the remaining 95% is generated in a non-conscious manner. 

For example, logically, in our conscious awareness, we know that our limiting beliefs are not true and that we are safe to be, do and have what we desire. However, if 95% of our mind has been programmed to believe that nothing else could be true except that belief, no wonder it feels impossible to be, do and have what we desire. 

Limiting beliefs show up everywhere. Not because we are weak, but because our mind goes everywhere we go. A belief is formed from our repetitive thoughts, combined with our emotional reactions, which becomes our decision maker. The decision can be the reaction, action, non action, behaviour, or even the way you speak and the words you use.

THOUGHT + FEELING + DECISION

If only 5% of our decisions, emotions, actions, and behaviours are conscious, what is programmed subconsciously and is it working for us, or against us? 

I gave this example the other day with regards to posting something online that will help to simply this. 

Let’s say you are going to post a video online, or perhaps even a view point or perspective you have and doubt shows up. 

Let’s start with the thought. You just shared something online and your mind is now going wild. “What if I insult someone? What if no one likes it? What if I wasn’t articulate enough? What if I’m judged?” “Maybe I should go and delete it.”

You are thinking about going to delete it because you are now starting to experience the feeling of these thoughts and in comes the emotional reaction. You may be feeling fear, or anxiousness, or even the dread of what might happen. You might even feel the emotional response in your body. This is when we go into a lot of what ifs. Your subconscious mind now does a scan to see how you normally react, behave, or make decisions based on this emotional response. 

The next stage is the most important because it is going to be what programs your mind to work for you, or against you. The way to get out of this spiral is to make the decision from the place of how you want to feel, not the fear.  

But this requires something really important….TRUST. 

Building up those trust muscles means that you have to put it out there, even with the fear tagging along, so that you can show yourself (your mind) that you are actually safe. Your mind will always want to keep you safe, but sometimes we have to remind it that we are not in any danger.

The decision that you can make is to share what you wanted to share, put it out there and walk away. Don’t keep looking for the likes or comments, and remind yourself that it came from your heart, you felt guided to share it, and you are safe. You are making sure that a part of that 95% subconscious programming is supportive. 

Eventually, your mind will realize that even when the doubt creeps in, you are actually safe and it is okay for you to do the thing you want to do. 

I wanted to share this today because I always get asked, “how can I stop thinking?” You can’t. Your mind isn’t separate from you. You can’t just take it out and put it in a drawer to use later. It goes where you go. But you can make it work you. You have that power. You are the thinker of your thoughts, you are not your thoughts. 

YOUR PRACTICE 

Step 1: Start to pay attention to where your thoughts + emotions are informing your decisions. 

Step 2: When the thoughts and emotions creep in, and they don’t feel good, stop and ask yourself this: “if I felt the opposite of this, say I felt confident and safe, how would my decision change?” 

Step 3: Make the decision, action, or behaviour from that place (step 2) and continue to do it until it takes up permanent residence in the 95% of your unconscious mind. 

Our mind is so complex and this is just one practice, so don’t worry if it takes some time. If you need more support, UNLEASH Your Limiting Beliefs is a 6-hour online workshop that takes you through multiple practices. This isn’t something that happens over night. Because again, your mind goes everywhere you go, which means that so do your limiting beliefs.

All love,

Laurie-ann

Share Button


Free Weekly Coaching Emails

Everything Contagiously Positive

Search



Let's talk, anytime.

lauriesheldrick@contagiouslypositive.ca

tweeter facebook Feed

© 2014 Contagiously Positive | All rights reserved | Website by Monolith Digital
© 2014 Contagiously Positive
All rights reserved
Website by Monolith Digital