This might shock you, but I did not come out of the box Contagiously Positive. In fact, it was quite the opposite. Negativity and unhappiness was like a drug to me. I loved being around negative people because it made me feel better. Misery loves company. I remember feeling like the happier other people were, the more depressed I became.
One day I made a decision. I was going to become the happiest person I know. That was a big goal for the unhappy young woman that I was. It has been about fifteen years since I made that decision and I never looked back. It didn’t happen over night and it took a lot of work. It takes work to have the life that you want.
The first step to becoming happy, a.k.a. Contagiously Positive, is to make the decision to change.
I choose happiness
I choose to be happy
I choose to feel happy
I always try to sum up everything that I did to get to where I am today. Fifteen years is a lot to sum up in one blog. It would take an entire book. There have been so many lessons. Today, I’m sharing five things you might be able to take with you while on your own personal journey.
1. Be willing to change and change and change and then change again. You have to keep trying and keep changing until you get it, until it feels right, until it hits you right in the gut, gives you goose bumps, and makes your soul sing with joy! I’ve learned that it takes a lot longer to find yourself than it is does to lose yourself, but it is absolutely worth the effort. If change is difficult for you, check out my 40-minute presentation on how to Embrace Change.
2. Be willing to be open-minded and to be an endless student. To grow is to learn and to learn is to grow. As crazy as this may sound, you don’t know it all. Be open-minded to trying new things, and to opening up your heart and your mind. That is how you prevent getting stuck. We have different needs, different desires and different wants at different times in our lives, and being open-minded helps leads us to what we need in this moment. Don’t get stuck in the trap of, “I’ve always done it that way.” If that way isn’t working for you, you need to be open to a new way.
3. Say to yourself, “This will be my new job.” Being happy is your new job. I got very clear about what I wanted and how I wanted to feel every day. HAPPY. Every day, I go to my new job of happiness. What do I need to do today to be happy? Commitment is being willing to make the tough decisions and to act upon it. Start taking action, action and more action. You have to work it. It’s not someone else’s job, it’s your job. This has been a sixteen-year job for me. I treat it like I would treat any job, with respect and dedication. There is always something you can do to better yourself and enhance your life. What can you do today to get a little closer to your ideal life?
4. That is what brings us to the next step. If you don’t know what you want, you can’t take action. You have to design your ideal life. What is the vision you have for your life? You can have the life of your dreams, but what is your dream life?
5. Be positive in everything that you do. How can you be positive doing the things you don’t want to do? For example: cleaning the house, doing chores, paying the bills, going to work, having a difficult conversation with someone, etc. The more we practice being positive during regular life events, the happier we will be. We attract what we put out in the world. If we are being negative, we will attract more negativity. If we are being positive, we will attract more positivity. Always be conscious of what you are putting out into the universe.
Sending you oodles of positivity, happiness & joy,
Laurie-ann Sheldrick, The Contagiously Positive Girl